MotorCities National Heritage Area
girl-american-car-cropped.jpg

Lincoln Motor Car Company

In 1922, Henry Ford purchased the company for $8,000,000, turning the Lincoln into Ford Motor Company's luxury brand. Leland retained his management post after the sale, but the strong-willed Leland and Ford immediately clashed, and Leland resigned after a few months. Ford immediately began refurbishing the plant layout and manufacturing. Ford also added onto the size of the complex, hiring architect Albert Kahn to design some of the many buildings along Livernois, adding over 300,000 square feet (28,000 m2) to the plant. The Lincoln Zephyr and Continental were made in the factory until 1952, when production facilities were moved to Wixom, Michigan.

To learn more by visiting the Southwest Detroit Auto Heritage Guide.


In 1917, Henry Leland established the Lincoln Motor Company to build Liberty engines for fighter planes using Ford Motor Company-supplied cylinders. Leland immediately purchased this a small factory on Detroit's west side. However, he quickly realized the facilities were not sufficient, so he purchased a 50-acre plot of land at Warren and Livernois. The company immediately broke ground for a factory complex of over 600,000 square feet.  In 1922, Henry Ford purchased the company for $8,000,000, turning the Lincoln into Ford Motor Company's luxury brand. Ford immediately began refurbishing the plant layout and manufacturing. Ford also added onto the size of the complex, hiring architect Albert Kahn to design some of the many buildings along Livernois, adding over 300,000 square feet to the plant. The Lincoln Zephyr and Continental were made in the factory until 1952, when production facilities were moved to Wixom, MI. In 1917, Henry Leland established the Lincoln Motor Company to build Liberty engines for fighter planes using Ford Motor Company-supplied cylinders. Leland immediately purchased this a small factory on Detroit's west side. However, he quickly realized the facilities were not sufficient, so he purchased a 50-acre plot of land at Warren and Livernois. The company immediately broke ground for a factory complex of over 600,000 square feet. In 1922, Henry Ford purchased the company for $8,000,000, turning the Lincoln into Ford Motor Company's luxury brand. Ford immediately began refurbishing the plant layout and manufacturing. Ford also added onto the size of the complex, hiring architect Albert Kahn to design some of the many buildings along Livernois, adding over 300,000 square feet to the plant. The Lincoln Zephyr and Continental were made in the factory until 1952, when production facilities were moved to Wixom, MI.

Address:
6200 W. Warren
Detroit, MI 48210