MotorCities National Heritage Area
chrysler-body-drop-cropped.jpg

Boydell Building

After building bicycles in Windsor, John and Horace Dodge opened a machine shop in the Boydell Building in Detroit in 1900. There they made metal parts for typesetting machines and boat engines, and their first automobile parts included engines and transmissions for Olds Curved-Dash runabouts. By 1903, they moved to a larger building on Monroe Street, two blocks away, where they began building parts for the new Ford Motor Company.

 


Address:
743 Beaubien Street
Detroit, MI 48226