|Return to Map|
Durant Motor Co Plant
417 North Verlinden Ave, Lansing, MI 48906
Automobile and truck manufacturing in Lansing did not stop with the early small companies and the giants of Oldsmobile and REO. In addition to all the General Motors models that have been made in the city through the years there was also the major concerns of Duplex Tuck and Durant Motor Car Co. After William Durant's second loss of control of General Motors he came back again in 1920 with the Durant Motor Co. The Lansing factory was built on VerLinden Ave (Edward VerLinden was first Manager, former of Oldsmobile) and contributed to the city's swelling auto worker population of over 13,000 .
The Great Depression swallowed Durant's company as well as so many others, and the company was in receivership by 1932. In 1936 Fisher Body bought the factory and has been manufacturing in this spot since, though there were other name changes under General Motors. It became Buick Oldsmobile Cadillac Body Assembly in the 1980's, and then later renamed again, as Lansing Car Assembly. The last automobile assembly rolled off the line here in 2004, and the factory was demolished starting in 2007.